Vision 2020 is a community agenda that is not just about solving problems – it is about anticipating them before they occur and creating new opportunities.
Like the original Vision 2000
, this new initiative is a volunteer organization of leaders from all sectors of the community working to develop creative responses to the needs and opportunities of our citizens.
The volunteers and planners of Vision 2020 are looking to create a better community for our citizens to enjoy as they prepare for their retirement years while at the same time continuing our efforts together for our children’s and our children’s children in order for them to enjoy this life that we have preserved for them in beautiful greater Morgantown, West Virginia.
Making a Difference
Our mission is to continue to grow the Morgantown area and help envision the success and growth of the area.
- Revitalize the downtown and bring people back to the center of our community through such projects as: the riverfront hotel/conference center, theaters, and office development projects.
- Create new employment opportunities through the attraction of new businesses and the retention/expansion of existing businesses.
- Continue efforts to bring improvements to the riverfront through the development of public marinas, docks, fishing piers, and potentially a water taxi system.
“It is said, ”That a rising tide floats all boats” and Vision 2020 is a blue print for elevating our community to the maximum.” – Rick Colbank, Alpha Associates
- Promote the re-development of the wharf district as an upscale retail and residential area with museums, art, galleries, etc.
- Promote the completion of the Monongalia County Port Authority feasibility study and promote the implementation of the resulting plan.
“This Vision project serves a as model for any community wishing to fulfill dreams through orderly and planned development.” – Cecil H. Underwood, Governor of West Virginia
- Build upon existing University/Community partnerships and create new opportunities for collaboration.
- Establish a public trust to acquire and preserve historic sites and structures for the purpose of returning them to active service.
- Build effective partnerships between the schools and the community that serve to strengthen the interaction between families and schools.
- Through the newly formed Arts Monongahela support the enhancement of art/culture in our community and development-related projects.
- Provide adequate and affordable housing in the greater Morgantown area.
- Winter Fest, a Spring Garden Show, Riverfront Arts Festival and Regatta, and others.
- “Vision 2020 is not just about solving problems – it is about anticipating them before they occur and creating a new opportunity.
- Create a beautification plan for the Morgantown area.
- Achieve the gold-level status of Well city by the Wellness Council of America.
- Establish a Senior Awareness Center to provide comprehensive information on local residents and potential retirees.
- Create the Community Services Council to help coordinate and focus the valuable work of our many service clubs and organizations.
“Vision 2020 provides the citizens of the greater Morgantown area a chance to participate in this collaboration of public and private sectors to build a world-class community.” – Frank Scafella, Mayor City of Morgantown
- Built collaboration between the various local units of government to create greater efficiencies and more effective governmental services.
- Support the Caperton Trail by the creation of safe bike and pedestrian corridors with connection to the parks.