About Generation Morgantown
In conjunction with Generation WV, Generation Morgantown is working to retain, recruit and advance young talent in the Mountaineer city.
View more at morgantown.generationwv.org/
. Their purpose is to cultivate the community of young professionals and leaders living and or working in Morgantown, West Virginia and the surrounding areas by facilitating opportunities for social interaction and networking and encouraging positive business development through programming and mentorship.Generation Morgantown is governed by an Advisory Board consisting of ten individuals representing the following industries which exist in Morgantown: legal, banking, entrepreneurs, higher education, health care, community service, media, and development.
View upcoming events on Facebook: Generation Morgantown
The Advisory Board has identified the following goals:
- Bridging the Gap
- Community Service
Goals and Objectives
The young generation of 21 to 45 year old leaders in West Virginia is going to play a very significant role in the present and future of our state.
- Bridging the Gap. Because Morgantown has a significant population of college students and established community members, the Advisory Board recognizes that individuals between the ages of 25 and 45 often feel excluded or displaced. The Advisory Board will encourage young professionals and leaders who have completed their education but are not yet established in their respective careers to become involved in the community.
- Retention. The Advisory Board believes that a significant population of talented young professionals and leaders already exists in Morgantown and that efforts to encourage them to stay in Morgantown are critical. As Morgantown continues to grow, the pool of talented young professionals and leaders will seem more shallow. Therefore, the Advisory Board will work to identify the reasons young professionals feel compelled to leave this area. We will also offer opportunities for mentorship, community service and networking so that Morgantown’s existing young talent will feel invested in Morgantown.
- Mentorship. The Advisory Board believes that success is never achieved alone, and mentorship is a key component of business and professional development. Therefore, the Advisory Board has included those who are young at heart in its definition of “young”. The Advisory Board will encourage involvement in Generation Morgantown by individuals who have demonstrated success and those who represent themselves and their organizations well. The Advisory Board will also identify programming opportunities for successful and established professionals and leaders to share their experiences with Generation Morgantown’s membership.
- Community Service. The Advisory Board believes that encouraging the involvement of young professionals in community service projects and non-profit boards will help individuals feel invested in Morgantown. The Advisory Board will encourage the preservation and continuation of existing charitable efforts and the development of new efforts by identifying new talent to work with community service projects.
- Networking. Because individuals who feel invested in their community are less likely to leave, the Advisory Board will provide opportunities for young professionals to socialize so that they may meet new friends and business contacts.
Helping us reach our goals of providing networking opportunities for young professionals, First Fridays help bridge the gap between student and professional life, and recruit young talent.
While the primary goal of the First Friday event is to provide a venue for social interaction among the young and talented professionals in the greater Morgantown area, these events are an exceptional opportunity to create valuable business networks as well as build new friendships.These events also have a positive economic impact on our young professionals because, whenever possible, these events are held at venues owned by young entrepreneurs in our community and offer a way to showcase their business and enlarge their customer base.